Cacciatora Chicken Recipe
Cacciatora chicken is a classic Italian dish that has been enjoyed for generations. The dish's name translates to "hunter's chicken," as it was traditionally made with chicken that was hunted in the countryside. Cacciatora chicken is a rustic and flavorful dish that typically consists of chicken braised in a tomato-based sauce with vegetables such as onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms, along with garlic and herbs like rosemary and thyme.
Cacciatora chicken is a good recipe for several reasons. Firstly, it is a one-pot dish that is easy to prepare and perfect for feeding a crowd. Secondly, it is a healthy and satisfying meal that is packed with protein and vegetables. Finally, the rich and savory flavors of the tomato-based sauce make it a delicious and comforting dish that is perfect for any time of year. Whether served over pasta or with crusty bread, Cacciatora chicken is a classic Italian dish that is sure to please.
Ingredients you will need to serve one person
- 1 skinless chicken breast (140g total weight) (170 cal.)
- 1 ham slice, fat removed, chopped (25 cal.)
- 50g mushrooms, quartered (5 cal.)
- 100g can of plum tomatoes in natural juice (23 cal.)
- ¼ tablespoon of olive oil (30 cal.)
- 30ml dry white wine (30 cal.)
- ¼ medium onion chopped (10 cal.)
- ½ a clove of garlic, finely chopped -
- ½ sage sprig -
- ½ rosemary sprig -
- ¼ tablespoon tomato purée -
- Small handful chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve -
TOTAL CALORIES: 290
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Tip in the ham and fry for about 2 mins until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Put the onion, garlic and herbs in the pan and fry for 3-4 mins.
- Spread the onion out in the pan, then lay the chicken breast on top. Season with pepper and fry for 5 mins over a medium heat, turning the chicken once, until starting to brown on both sides and the onion is caramelising on the bottom of the pan. Remove the chicken and set aside on a plate. Raise the heat, give it a quick stir and, when sizzling, pour in the wine and let it bubble for 2 mins to reduce slightly.
- Lower the heat to medium, return ham to the pan, then stir in the tomatoes (breaking them up with your spoon), tomato puree and mushrooms. Spoon 1 tbsp of water into the empty tomato can, swirl it around, then pour it into the pan. Cover and simmer for 15-20 mins or until the sauce has thickened and reduced slightly, then return the chicken to the pan and cook, uncovered, for about 15 mins or until the chicken is cooked through. Season and scatter over the parsley to serve.
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 50 min